Saag (Spinach) Meat:
Total Time to Prepare: Approx 1 hr
Serving Size: 6 people
- 1 kg Goat Mutton with Bones
- 1 kg spinach and/or 1 packet frozen chopped spinach
- 2 big onions liquidized
- 1 ½ big tomato chopped.
- 2 medium size potatoes cut up to make at least 8 small pieces of potatoes.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Big Cardamom
- 3 small cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 8 to 10 black pepper ground or ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 green chillies cut finely
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
You will need a pressure cooker for this dish.
- Take a pressure cooker and place meat in the pot with ½ tsp garlic and ½ tsp salt , and onions and 2 cup luke warm water. Place the pressure cooker on high and let the pressure whistle blow for at least 8 times. It’s imperative that you turn the burner off and remove all steam before opening the lid. Once you open the lid, take a piece of meat and see if it is tender enough. Imagine if you were eating this piece and you use a spoon to break it apart and if you are able to do it easily then you are set but if it’s really hard and you struggle to break it apart then put it back in the pressure cooker and let it steam for another 2 or 3 times. Continue to do this until the meat has become tender.
- In a separate pot add the oil and heat it up.
- Add tomatoes and fry them till they become a thick paste like consistency. It’s a good idea to cover the pot so that with the steam the tomatoes soften quicker.
- Add the potatoes and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger and fry for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add all spices and fry for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add meat from the pressure cooker and fry for 10 minutes and then add spinach and leave on low heat till oil separates. It’s important that you don’t add the liquid from the pressure cooker just the meat. After every 4 or 5 minutes add a little of the water so that the meat does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Use all liquid and add another cup of hot water if you want your curry to have more liquid.
- Taste your dish and if you think you want to add more salt or chili then add a little bit more.
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze out the water with your hands before you place it in the pot with the meat.
Ways to Eat Saag Meat:
- You can have this dish with Rice.
- You can have this dish with Roti (Soft Indian Bread)
- You can have this dish with a garlic Naan ( Indian Bread)