Total Time to Prepare: 7 hours
Serving Size: 6 people.
1 cup Green Moog Dal
6 1/2 cups Boiling Water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin (geera) powder
1 tsp coriander (dhania)powder
1 onion finely chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 big tomato chopped or liquidized.
½ tsp chili powder
2tblsp of butter (optional)
* A crock pot will be needed to make this dish.
- Wash Lentils.
- Place lentils in crock pot and add 7 cups boiling water. Make sure crock pot is set on high temperature. The water should reach at least at the half way mark of the crock pot.
- Add all of the above ingredients in the crock pot and let it cook.
- It will take approximately 8 hrs to cook. When it’s cooked you will notice that the beans are soft and that everything has mixed together and looks like soup consistency.
- IF you see that the lentils are too thick add more boiling water to the crock pot. Remember the more water you add the spices might get diluted so add more salt and chilies according to taste.
- I usually add butter to my serving of daal (lentils).
- When I have a party I add about 2 tablespoons of butter to the dish.
Ways to Eat Green Moong Daal:
- Garnish the dish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and eat it with rice.
- You can eat daal with roti (Indian soft bread).
- You can have it like a soup.