Baingan Bharta/ Eggplant Recipe(pronounced BHURR-taah)
Total Time to Prepare: 1 hr 30min
Serving Size: 4 People
3 medium-sized eggplants (roughly 500gms/ 1 pound)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp cumin powder (geera)
2 medium-sized onions chopped fine
1 tbsp ginger paste or chopped very fine
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon Tumeric powder (Haldi)
2 green chillies (optional)
2 large tomatoes chopped fine
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh green coriander
1 cup of frozen peas
- Roast the eggplant in your oven till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft. Make sure you set the oven to broil and set it to a high temperature of 500 degrees.
- Once the eggplant is roasted, allow to cool and then peel off and discard the charred skin. Once cool, coarsely mash and keep aside for later use.
- Now set up a pan on medium heat and add the cooking oil. Add the onions and fry till soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and all the spices. Stir well and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often to prevent the spice mix from sticking to the pan. Sprinkle a little water if needed.
- Now add the eggplant and mix well.
- Add the peas and stir a few times.
- It is important to cook the eggplant well so that there is no water left.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander on top of the Bharta before serving