Pan Fried Brinjal/Eggplant with Potatoes (Bharwa Baingan)
Time to Prepare: 50 minutes
Serving Size: 4 people
- 8 small size brinjals with stem
- 3 Medium sized potatoes thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)
- One packet of Tava Fry Masala (MDH Brand ther brands are fine as well). These spices can be found at your local ethnic market.
- 7 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5/6 tablespoons of water
- Wash the brinjals and pat dry them. Slit the Brinjals from the side that is round in four-way slits. Make criss-cross slits on the brinjals, slitting as close to the stem but not all the way. You want to make sure that you don’t cut the brinjal all the way.
- In a bowl add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ packet of Tava Fry Masala and mix well so that it becomes a paste.
- Stuff the slits with the Tava Fry Masala mixture. Feel free to use your fingers and rub the paste in all areas of the brinjal.
- In a bowl add the sliced potatoes and add 1 tablespoons of Tava Fry Masala
- In a non stick wide pan heat 4 tablespoons of oil and add the potatoes and gently fry till ¼ way done.
- Add the brinjals and let them fry first on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Every 5 minutes uncover and gently turn the brinjal over.
- Then add 5/6 tablespoons of water to help steam the brinjal and cook quicker. Now leave it on low heat and let it cook. Make sure the pan is covered.
- When the brinjal are soft and slightly mushy they are ready to be served.