Time to Prepare: 1 hour
Serving Size: 6 people
- 5 tbsp oil
- 2 large Red Onions chopped finely
- 5 Green Chilies chopped finely
- 4 Big Potatoes peeled and cut up in small approximately 1/2″ size
- 1 bunch of fresh Coriander chopped up
- 8 or 9 Curry Patha Leaves
- 1 tbsp grated ginger Ginger
- 1 lemon squeezed
- 5 cups Poha (thick Poha Laxmi Brand)Parched Rice – This product can be found at your local ethnic stores. Poha comes in thin or thick flakes and I recommend using the thicker flakes.
- 3 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Cups frozen peas 2
- 2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric/ curry powder
- 1/2 cup of hot water
- Heat oil and then add mustard seeds.
- Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Add potatoes and fry for a few minutes and then cover the pot till potatoes cook. After 15 minutes add the frozen peas. This process could take about 30 minutes for the potatoes to cook. Every 5 minutes stir the potatoes.
- On one side place the poha in a colander and run cold water on the poha mixing it simultaneously until the entire poha is moistened. Drain the water nicely and set aside. This allows the poha to absorb the water and soften.
- When potatoes are cooked add poha add ginger, curry patha, chilies and salt to taste and turmeric and stir fry it till all ingredients are mixed.
- Poha cooks in 5 minutes. Cover the first 2 minutes and then keep in uncovered for the last few minutes and at that time squeeze lemon juice over Poha and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander, and Indian cheese (optional)