Sarson Ka Saag (Spinach/Mustard Greens)
Total Time To Prepare: 1 hour
Serving Size : 6 Ingredients:
1 bunch spinach washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb)
2 bunch mustard greens washed and chopped fine (approximately 1/2 lb or 250 gms) 2 green chillies 1 1/2 tsp cut up ginger (or paste) 1 teaspoon garlic (or paste)
1 teaspoon of salt or more according to taste 2-3 tbsps butter 1 large onion grated
2 tablespoons of Channa Flour (Chickpea Flour)
* You will need a pressure cooker for this.
- Mix the greens, green chillies and garlic and salt to taste and boil in 1 cup of water in pressure cooker. Allow about 8 whistles and then remove the cooker and set it aside and allow for the steam to come out before opening the pressure cooker.
- Mash the greens mix well to make a course paste. This paste should not be like a puree.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Channa Flour (Chick Pea Flour) in a cup and mix with a few tablespoons of water and then mix it quickly in the greens so it does not become like clumps.
- Add 1/2 cup hot water.
- Let it cook for 1/2 hour.
- In another pan, heat the butter on a medium flame. When hot add the sliced onion and fry till pale golden.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp of cut up ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and Mustard Greens and fry till oil separates from the masala (onion-spice mix).
Way to Eat Sarson Ka Saag: •Garnish with a dollop of butter and serve with Makki Ki Roti (Indian maize flatbread). Indian Maize Bread can be found at your local ethnic market.