Vegetables Rice Pilaf
Total Time to Prepare: 1 hour
Serving Size: 6 people
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cup water
- 2 cups of cut Frozen Vegetables of your choice. Recommendations are – carrots, peas, corn, spinach, lima beans, and green beans
- 1 cup of Indian Cheese cubes (Paneer) ** This is optional.
- 1 big onion finely sliced
- 1 big tomato chopped in small pieces
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ tsp. of salt
- ¼ tsp. of red chili powder
- 2 tsp. of cumin (Geera) powder
- In a dish add 1 cup of rice and fill the dish with cold water and set it aside so the rice can soak.
- In a big non-stick skillet add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and heat it.
- When oil is hot add the onions and stir fry till a golden brown color.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and stir fry for about 2/3 minutes till you see the tomatoes soften. I usually stir it once or twice and they I cover it for a few minutes. It tends to cook quicker with the steam.
- Add 2 cups of vegetables and add all the spices and stir it a few times. I would again cover it and have the heat on a medium temperature so that with the steam the vegetables cook quickly. If you add the Indian cheese I would add it at this time as well.
- After about 5 minutes add the 2 cups of water in the vegetable mix and let it boil. Make sure the skillet is on high at this time.
- Once the water is boiling add the rice. Drain all the water before placing the rice in the vegetable mix. Cover the lid and let it cook on high for just about 5 minutes and then turn the skillet to the lowest number.
- Cover the skillet and let it cook slowly.
- You will notice that in about 45 minutes the rice will be ready. Once you notice that the rice is all separated and cooked then your dish is ready.
- Once you place the rice in the skillet don’t stir it too many times. Stirring the pot tends to break the rice.
- When I make this dish for my kids, I always add a dollop of butter when frying the onions and when the rice is cooked I place a dollop on the top of the rice and just let it melt. My mom always told me that kids should not worry about fatty foods, they need healthy fats to grow and it has a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin E and K which are all important for our children.
Good Way to Eat this Dish:
- You can have it plain.
- You can have it with plain yogurt.
- You can have it with spicy pickles.
- You can have it with Soya Sauce.